Thursday, January 28, 2016

Step 1: Write

My first interactions with the internet was in the 1990s - I was still just growing along with the development of the internet. I was a preteen, who remembers when connecting to the internet took a while and was a painfully annoying noise. Thankfully our family was early adopters, and we had an extra phone line for dial up.

As a preteen my interests included celebrities, pop-culture and trivial drama. My obsessions were of Seth Green, Jennifer Love Hewitt, and Blink-182. I would find people to talk to about them in chatrooms and eventually created my own newsletter of "fun-facts" I found on the internet, in books, and photos. At first, I thought this was an embarrassing story, especially given the names like "ObSethed" - which sounds like you say obsessed with a lisp, and "We Love Love" - but I actually realized that I was contributing to the very early stages of digital marketing. I had also created a terrible website on geocities - that I can barely remember other than having to write down the standard-long URL on a piece of paper, like an old Nintendo game.

{{Does this make me sound old? I am going for authentic.}}

My sister knew more about how to code, which I always thought was too complicated to learn. She created my first blog, which I think I dubbed myself an alias as "Raina", after a recurring dream of a girl named Raina who felt like a close friend of mine. It had become my identity. My blog had become a journal, an online diary. I quickly jumped on the band-wagon when LiveJournal became popular. Again, my sister being ahead of the curve had bought an account and had a guest pass that she allowed me to create my own blog. 

{{Yup, creating a blog wasn't always this easy.}}

I've tried to make attempts to write, but struggled by either trying to write about one subject like digital marketing (my current profession), and it started to feel like a chore. Given the never-ending amount of content in the world (especially that has been created just in the last decade), I've felt like the voice I had and shared has been muted for reasons like:
  1. What could I write that hasn't already been said?
  2. I can't stand when people correct my grammar.
  3. The internet is filled with pretentious assholes.
  4. Much of my thoughts are only temporarily valid (hence the blog name). My opinions change as I constantly age and evolve.
So this is my return. I have low expectations, I don't really like reading about other people's lives either.. But nonetheless. Here. We. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment