Sunday, February 14, 2016

Balance

Happy Valentines Day!

I wanted to share a concept that my partner and I discussed when we first started dating to maintain a healthy relationship. Balance. 


While this concept is simple to understand there are some elements that are difficult to implement if you are already in a relationship where the scales have already been tipped.

Here are some examples from my former relationships of scales being tipped:


I have been in relationships where I thought the person I was dating was the "bees knees", I started changing my personality and my interests to be with that person. When the balance was broken, I started to lose my identity, my sense of self and ultimately my own self-worth. I've also been in a relationship before where the scales were tipped in the reverse, when someone started changing themselves to be with me.

Our relationship is based on equality. We both value ourselves and don't have to worry about judgement from the other. To maintain this balance, we are conscious of what could break this, and make efforts to not put ourselves in those situations. We do what we would do regardless of the relationship, that stays true to ourselves first and do not ask for permission and trust each other. Since I feel confident in our relationship sometimes the scales might shake, but I've never felt they were uneven.

We are a good match for each other but our relationship is as strong as our balance is steady.

No comments:

Post a Comment